Saturday, September 01, 2007

Buckeye, Burners & the Eastern Sierra


On my final research trip for the Yosemite book, I drove through part of the Eastern Sierra and, after 10 hours behind the wheel and visits to nearly a dozen campgrounds, I still had time to get a little writing done. Actually, I pretty much was only able to stare at the computer screen for about a half-hour, feeling too tired and distracted by the wine and scenery. Near sundown, I soaked in murky hotsprings with a bunch of naked burners who were on their way to the Black Rock Desert. The water was better than the conversation. Sitting around with a bunch of Burning Man freaks while they rehash last year's party reminds me of getting stuck in one of those group conversations about the Brady Bunch. I never watched it. Anyway, the Eastern Sierra was mind-blowing. I've never been over to that side, and it felt like I'd left California altogether.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe the desk you get to sit at! I'm sorry, I feel I'm the cause of the Brady Bunch comment. But without it, you wouldn't have had an analogy. Brady Bunch is Life.

7:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home