Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Get Drunk, Write a Letter

I don't regularly get drunk alone, but one of my favorite things to do while traveling solo is going to a bar, getting looped and writing a letter. It's the best of both worlds: I'm alone but in good company, by myself, but having a conversation with my best friend. I don't know, maybe it's the sort of thing that becomes appealing only after long stretches alone on the road. But even after I'm home, I find myself craving, every now and then, the feeling of sitting alone with a drink and a pen and pouring out my thoughts to a friend on paper.

Maybe it's because there's nothing like ranting when you're on a good buzz. And with pen and paper, there's no one to interrupt. I get to do all the talking. No one breaks in when I lose my train of thought or if I pause and stare off in silence to hone in on something brilliant thought that's taking shape in my brain. And when I'm alone in bars, brilliant thoughts do take shape in my brain.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll attest - I've a box of those great letters. Never stop drinking alone in bars Danny - I'm always here.
A.P.

8:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home