Saturday, November 12, 2005

It's a communist thing

It's so good to be back in Buenos Aires. For one thing, not only is it legal to walk down the street with a cocktail in your hand, but you can walk into a random business and get one for free! Promotions are taken to a whole new level down here. Campari started setting up yesterday, and this evening we can walk into any of thirty different business and get a free Campari and tonic or Campari and orange. And then walk out. And do it as many times as we want.

So tonight we're gettin drunk for free. On Campari. And everyone wins. The stores win cuz people come in. We win because we get free drinks. And Campari wins when it gets new converts (My new evening drink is Campari and tonic, which – and I don't care what you say – is just a little bit cooler than Lou Reed's gin and tonic). I guess the only ones that don't win are the bars in the neighborhood that are selling fewer drinks.

Aimee and I are already four Camparis into the evening and as soon as Marisa and Lucila get here, we're off for a few more before our big steak dinner.

Ah man, and the Jacarandás are all in bloom, everyone's out at night in our neighborhood, and I just can't imagine it gettin' much better than this.

2 Comments:

Blogger Travelburro said...

Dude, whoever said I was tampering with the G&T, and actually my favorite drink, though lately I've been ordering Negronis. I bet you drink vodka tonics. You should try the Negroni. Go into Martuni's - I bet they make a good one there.

9:46 AM  
Blogger Travelburro said...

so, you try the negroni yet?

12:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home